-by Matt Leedham
Of all the topics we cover in our introductory goal setting course, one subject seems to get the most attention. Most of our alumni tell me that using core values to frame goal setting is incredibly powerful.
So, for those of you still not living your life in honor of your core values, let me tell you why you’re missing out. Uncovering your personal core values will help you do the following:
- Increase Your Sense of Meaning. Core values provide a sense of knowing something greater than your wants and desires. They really get at your needs. Since core values describe your foundation – your guiding principles – they give you a calm sense of meaning and belonging. As much as they describe your uniqueness, they help you understand your role within the world by showing you and others how you can uniquely contribute.
- Make Better Decisions. Whether you know it or not, you make over 1,000 decisions a day. If it sounds like a lot, it is. What most people don’t understand is that our core values determine many of those decisions. To volunteer or spend time with the family? Both worthy of your time. Core values can you help you prioritize the most important things in your life.
- Make Better Choices. I view decisions as more reactionary, whereas choices are something you can be proactive about. For example, goal setting is a choice. And your core values are a critical piece of that. There are a million positive paths to choose from – which one will you take and why? Core values are the answer.
- Increase Your Confidence. This is my favorite part. This is by far the most satisfying piece of having well defined core values. The confidence I have in every decision and choice I make is empowering. When I make a decision based on my core values, I believe with all of my heart that it is the right one, and that feels good. To live your life with intention and purpose is very liberating.
- Communicate Better. Because your decisions are made with more conviction, your ability to communicate to others is heightened. It becomes very easy to inform others of your decisions and choices because you clearly know why you chose that path or made that decision. Others will see your confident choices and will clearly understand your intent.
Choose to live with intention. Choose to live with purpose. Adopt your core values and own them. Live by them and share them freely. They will guide you down the right path.